Riptide Rendezvous - 2023
John Loo, Tournament Director
Need Help? Contact Us
Riptide Rendezvous - 2023
Riptide Rendezvous is a catch-and-release, artificial lure only, surf fishing tournament. It’s a non-profit fundraising event, organized by the Southwest Council of Fly Fishers International, with the support of Coastal Conservation Association California. All net proceeds go to the SWCFFI and CCAC, to help fund fishing outreach and conservation programs.
This is a “for-fun” event, with no fixed location, that runs for a month! Use the iAngler Tournament app to photograph and submit your catch. There are separate divisions for fly- and regular-tackle fishermen, with separate prize pools
"Logging Your Catch" Instructional Video
6 months 2 weeks ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
6 months 2 weeks ago
Events & Schedule
Begin tournament scoring period
05/27/2023 12:00 AM
End tournament scoring period
06/24/2023 12:00 AM
Awards, Drawings and Raffle
06/24/2023 10:00 AM
Rules and RegulationsClick to Read
- You can register any time up until 11:59 pm on June 22, 2023
- You must register in either the “Fly Fishing” division, or the “Regular Tackle” division
- Contestants must install the iAngler Tournament app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto a smart phone. All catches will be submitted using the iAngler app.
- An Honor System is in force for rule compliance. The Tournament Director(s) will investigate any reported infractions, and issue rulings. Their decisions are final.
- All California fish and game regulation must be followed, including possession of a fishing license (if required), equipment used, fishing locations and hours.
- Only artificial flies or lures may be used. No live or dead bait.
- Fly Fishing Division:
- Only single- and double-handed fly rods and reels are allowed.
- Flies must be constructed using materials and techniques generally accepted for fly fishing. No added scents, and no lures normally fished on regular tackle, such as small plugs, spoons or spinners
- Regular Tackle Division:
- Any legal fishing tackle other than fly fishing tackle is allowed
- Soft plastic baits manufactured with scents (for example, Berkeley Gulp! products, etc.) are allowed
- Fish as many days as you want in the given time window
- Fishing is allowed from the shore, anywhere it is legal, from the northern border of Santa Barbara County to the Mexican border.Fishing from jetties, and in bays and estuaries is allowed, but pier fishing is excluded.
- Fishing can occur during any legal time of the day or night
- ALL FISH MUST BE FAIRLY CAUGHT AND NOT FOUL HOOKED! “Foul hooked” means the fish was landed with no hook(s) in the mouth
- Only the following species will be counted: Perch (any kind), Corbina, Spotfin Croaker, Yellowfin Croaker, Halibut, Shark, Ray, Striped Bass
- Catches will be submitted using the iAngler app to photograph the fish on a measuring device
- Any ruler, tape measure, or measuring board is acceptable
- The fish’s nose must be on the start of the measuring device, with the fish laid out straight. If the measuring device is collapsible or rolls up, it must be straight and flat
- The length of the fish, as measured from the nose to the tail fork (or the middle of the tail, if there is no fork) will be used as the score
- The fly or lure used to catch the fish must be in the picture
- Release your catch!
- ONLY fish caught May 27 - June 23 will count for awards. You can use the iAngler app to check the leaderboard at any time
- Awards will be given in each Division, for the following categories:
- Longest fish: Longest Perch (any kind); Longest Corbina; Longest Spotfin or Yellowfin Croaker; Longest Halibut; Longest Shark or Ray, Longest Striped Bass
- Most inches of fish caught in a day (Single Day High Score, all allowed species combined) 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- In the event of tie scores for largest fish, the angler submitting their catch first prevails. In the event of tie scores for the total inches category, the person reaching the score first will prevail. The timing is based on the submission time in iAngler.
- All contestants, regardless of whether or not they submit a fish, are automatically entered into a drawing for a rod/reel/line combo in their division
- All winners must be present at the awards event on June 24, or their prize will be given to the next qualifying entry.
Disclaimer Click to Read
Waiver of Liability
In consideration of the service of the Southwest Council, Fly Fishers International, and any other entities associated with it, and their agents, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as "SWCFFI), I hereby acknowledge the following:
- Fishing and related activities entail both known and unknown risks which could result in physical or emotional injury or death to myself and/or third parties, or damage to my personal property or the property of others. These risks cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of such activities.
- The risks include, but are not limited to, injury and damages resulting from: slips and falls, physical exertion, animal bites and stings, exposure to dangerous weather conditions, being submerged or entrapped in water, acts of God, or medical complications resulting from my own physical condition.
- Fishing activities may occur in areas where communications with emergency medical or rescue services are impaired or impossible, and that such services may not arrive in a timely manner even if summoned.
- SWCFFI could misjudge environmental conditions surrounding this event, such as weather, the elements, or the terrain, and may give inadequate warnings or instructions regarding dealing with these conditions.
- Equipment provided or used by SWCFFI might malfunction and be unable to provide the desired results.
- SWCFFI is not obligated to accommodate or make allowances for any participant’s fitness or abilities.
- SWCFFI is not obligated to mitigate or eliminate the aforesaid risks.
- By agreeing to this waiver, I expressly accept and assume the risks that exist in these activities. My participation is purely voluntary, and I have elected to participate despite the risks.
On behalf of myself, my children, my parents, my heirs, my assigns, personal representatives and estate, I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless SWCFFI from any and all claims, demands or causes of action which are in any way connected with my participation in these activities or my use of SWCFFI's services, equipment or facilities, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of SWCFFI.
Should SWCFFI, or anyone acting on its behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees or other legal costs, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
I agree to bear the costs of covering any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating in these activities. Furthermore, I attest that, to the best of my knowledge, I have no medical or physical conditions which would interfere with my safety during this activity, or else I am willing to assume and bear the costs of any efforts to mitigate or address all risks that may be created, directly or indirectly, by any condition.
If I file a lawsuit against SWCFFI, I shall do so solely in the State of California, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in any such action without regard to any conflict of the law of that state with this waiver.
In consideration of any minor or minors accompanying me, even though not specifically named herein,
being permitted by SWCFFI to participate in its activities and/or to use its equipment and facilities, I agree to indemnify and hold harmless SWCFFI from any and all claims which are brought by or on behalf of such minor(s), and which are in any way connected with such use or participation by such minor(s).
By signing this document, or indicating that I accept these conditions on the event registration web page, I acknowledge, that if anyone is hurt or property damaged during my participation in any such activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against SWCFFI on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein.
I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document, fully understand it, and agree to be bound by its terms as stated or amended.