Bank Division - 2020 Gulf Coast Sweetwater Classic
Need Help? Contact Us
Gulf Coast Sweetwater Classic
Saturday, March 14, 2020
A fly fishing only tournament for boats and kayaks, part of the activities of the Classic fly fishing festival. All tackle - rods, reels and flies - must be exclusively for fly fishing. This is a catch-photo-release tournament.
Boat (boat, kayak, float tube): Individual, Longest Bass, Longest Crappie
Bank: Individual, 3-fish photos, total cumulative length, Slam (Bass, Bream, Crappie)
ONLINE at www.ianglertournament.com, or ON SITE Noon-8:00PM Friday, cash only.
All contestants must check-in at the tournament site (Conference Center) with signed release form and measuring board BEFORE fishing.
You must have a smartphone to take or transmit photos. Some exceptions may apply. See rules for details.
Friday, March 13th
12pm - 8pm - Activities at Conference Center, free casting clinics, fly tying demonstrations, product demos
2:30pm – 5:30pm - Big Sunfish Tourney, $5 optional (cash only)
6:00pm – Captains meeting
6:30pm – One Feather Challenge Fly Tying Contest 7:15pm – One Feather Winners announced
Saturday, March 14th
7:00am - Tournament begins, lines in water
8am - 3pm - Activities at Conference Center, fly casting, fly tying 10am – 3pm – Casting Skills Challenge
12 noon - Photo "weigh-in", all entries must have been submitted 1:00pm - Tournament Winners announced
1:30pm - Iron Fly Competition
3:30pm - FFI Gulf Coast Council board meeting
"Logging Your Catch" Instructional Video
11 months 3 weeks ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
11 months 3 weeks ago
Events & Schedule
Activities at Conference Center, free casting clinics, fly tying demonstrations, product demos
03/13/2020 12:00 PM
Big Sunfish Tourney, $5 optional (cash only)
03/13/2020 02:30 PM
03/13/2020 06:00 PM
One Feather Challenge Fly Tying Contest
03/13/2020 06:30 PM
One Feather Winners announced
03/13/2020 07:15 PM
Tournament begins, lines in water
03/14/2020 07:00 AM
Activities at Conference Center, fly casting, fly tying
03/14/2020 08:00 AM
Casting Skills Challenge
03/14/2020 10:00 AM
Photo "weigh-in", all entries must have been submitted
03/14/2020 12:00 PM
Tournament Winners announced
03/14/2020 01:00 PM
Iron Fly Competition
03/14/2020 01:30 PM
FFI Gulf Coast Council board meeting
03/14/2020 03:30 PM
Rules and RegulationsClick to Read
2020 Gulf Coast Sweetwater Classic
Tournament Rules and Regulations
The purpose of the Gulf Coast Sweetwater Tournament is to promote friendly competition in an effort to improve knowledge. The experiences and results of the tournament will provide contestants – and others – with the tackle, techniques, and strategies to becoming more successful warmwater fly anglers.
This is a FUN and SIMPLE tournament. While the rules are many, the vast majority are just plain common sense. They are there to insure a safe event, and to insure that fish are handled and released properly. If you have any questions, please submit to the Tournament Director.
These rules will be reviewed at the Captains meeting the evening before the tournament.
1. ENTRY. $25 (+ $1.25 via PayPal)
2. FISHING HOURS: 7:00am – 12noon Saturday. Contestants in the boat divisions may launch no earlier than 6:00am. Contestants must be in the weigh-in line no later than 12 noon.
3. REGISTRATION. Open to the public until 8:00pm on Friday, March 13th, 2020. See below for details.
4. CHECK-IN. All participants will be required to check in prior to fishing on Saturday morning. Bring your measuring board with you for verification. You will be assigned your id number and asked to sign the waiver of liability.
5. WAIVER. By registering for this event you agree to the Fly Fishers International – Gulf Coast Council (FFI-GCC) waiver/release of liability waiver. You will be asked to sign this waiver at check-in time.
6. WEIGH-IN. The “weigh-in” location will be at the Conference Center. Because this is a CPR tournament, there is no physical weighing in of fish. Rather, this will be where contestants can submit entries that were not entered via the Tournament APP. It will also be the location where final results will be tallied, and where any protests must be registered.
7. TACKLE: Only rods, reels, line and flies designed exclusively for fly fishing may be used. No soft plastic baits, or other types of baits customarily used for other tackle may be used. No live bait or liquid attractants may be used. No other types of rods and reels – other than fly tackle – are permitted in the boat during the tournament. Only one (1) fly rod may be used at any one time per angler.
8. DIVISIONS: Bass (boat), Crappie (boat), Bank
At registration time, each angler must register either as BOAT (motorboat, kayak, canoe, float tube, etc.) or BANK. No angler can register for both.
– Boat entrants can register bass, crappie or both. At weigh-in, the crappie and bass submissions will be separated. Placements will be recognized for BASS and CRAPPIE based on longest fish in each.
– Bank entrants will register bass, bream and crappie. This is a slam division, i.e., the longest of each species will be used to total cumulative score. Placements will be recognized for total score.
9. BOAT REGULATIONS: Due to the small size of Lake Tangipahoa (500 acres), all watercraft will be considered boats. Boats with combustible engines are considered powerboats by our definition. Kayaks and canoes can use trolling motors, but must still obey rules for non-powerboats. Powerboats must
meet U.S. Coast Guard regulations and have an emergency kill switch. Anglers in powerboats are required to wear a USCG-approved life preserver (PFD) when operative. All anglers NOT in motorboats must wear a USCG approved life preserver at all times on the water.
10. BOUNDARIES: All fish must be caught within the boundaries of Percy Quin State Park.
11. ENTRIES: This is a CPR (catch-photo-release) tournament. Any fish registered should be handled with care and quickly released. Fish are to be placed on a measuring board, with the angler id number and fly in the photograph. Take the photo using a smartphone or digital camera. Enter the fish and photo through the tournament app. If using a digital camera, be sure to bring camera to the weigh-in location prior to weigh-in deadline.
12. SCORING. Each angler’s longest fish will be used for placement.
– The longest bass among boaters will be awarded 1st place.
– The longest crappie among boaters will be awarded 1st place.
– The cumulative total of three (3) longest bass, bream, crappie (1 each) among bank fishermen will be awarded 1st place.
13. TIES: In event of a tie, first submission gets higher rank. In event there is no fish submitted in one division, there will be a drawing among all entrants for the prize pot.
14. PAYOUTS: The top 3 places in each division will receive recognition. Prizes may also be awarded. As the purpose of this event is to raise funds for the FFI Gulf Coast Council’s education and conservation initiatives, the majority of entry fees will be considered donation.
15. REGULATIONS: All anglers must have a current Mississippi fishing license. Daily or annual freshwater licenses for residents and non-residents can be purchased at the State Park office, or at several local businesses such as Walmart. Contestants must be familiar with regulations for Lake Tangipahoa.
16. SPORTSMANSHIP: All contestants are expected to follow state and federal regulations, and demonstrate high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation. Any contestant who fails to do so, or brings unfavorable publicity to the sport of fly fishing will be disqualified.
17. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND DRUGS: At no time during tournament hours are any alcoholic beverages or drugs, other than prescription, allowed in the boat or to be consumed while on the water. Violation of this rule will result in immediate disqualification and forfeiture of all entry fees.
18. WEATHER: The tournament will be held regardless of weather conditions UNLESS deemed hazardous by the Tournament Director. In such case, the director reserves the right to alter fishing times, or even to cancel the tournament. If the tournament is cancelled, there will be no refunds of entry fees (consider it a donation to the FFI-GCC which most of the entry fee is anyway).
19. RULE ENFORCEMENT: Interpretation and enforcement of these rules shall be left exclusively to the Tournament Director. The decision of the Tournament Director and tournament officials will be FINAL IN ALL MATTERS.
1. Prior to fishing, individual must present his phone with the tournament app and measuring board at the registration desk for approval (check-in).
2. The measuring board must be a commercial metal or plastic model which clearly shows the numbers and lines for inch and quarter-inch markings. Homemade, retractable tape, or sliding measuring devices are NOT acceptable.
3. Each contestant will be issued one identification tag and hands numbered at check-in. This tag or numbered hand must appear in all pictures of the fish and must be readable.
4. A fish photograph should show the fish with mouth completely closed touching the left end of the ruler with tail in a natural position. Any deviation from this may result in a minimum of 1/4ʺ penalty by the Tournament Director.
5. The photos must also contain the ID tag or numbered hand.
6. The photos must be taken with the fish facing left and the dorsal fin up. No fish will be recorded which does not comply with the prescribed photo requirements. Fish length will be rounded to the next higher half-inch.
7. Most fish measuring boards do not have numbering less than 8 inches. Therefore, only fish at least 8 inches in length are to be submitted.
8. No photos of duplicate, dead, mutilated, frozen or otherwise damaged fish will be accepted. Any attempts at cheating or fraud will result in permanent suspension from future tournaments.
9. If you do not have a phone capable of running the tournament app, you may use a digital camera. Bring the camera to the registration BEFORE the weigh-in deadline of 12 noon.
10. If you cannot get a cell phone connection on the water, bring your phone to registration to have photos checked BEFORE 12 noon.
Disclaimer Click to Read
By registering for this event you agree to the Fly Fishers International – Gulf Coast Council (FFI-GCC) waiver/release of liability waiver.
You will be asked to sign this waiver at check-in time.